Image Map

Sunday 18 March 2012

And So Our Story Begins...



Following the renowned discussion regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending, the events got me thinking about the very structure of a story and how fundamental it can be within gaming. Many individuals expressed their sheer disappointment and criticisms of the ending they experienced within Mass Effect 3. The volume of complaints received reflects the abundant importance of a sufficient ending, despite the quality of the game throughout. Is this the way stories within video games should be perceived? I’ll be challenging and discussing this observation and expressing my own opinion on the matter. 

People often forget that stories utilised within video games are creative concepts conjured by individuals who adore storytelling. They are quick to forget that these individuals are masters in their field, thus being appointed to deliver the story. No matter how talented these individuals are, it is simply an impossible task to create a conclusion to a series which is going to satisfy each and every person who embarks on that journey.

That being said, people often neglect the journey they take whilst delving into a story. This is especially apparent in the gaming industry. People are impatient and often plough through a game without observing everything and allowing time to absorb the storyline. For me personally, a game that includes an immersive storyline and powerful character development is something I thoroughly enjoy and feel is often overlooked. I feel that the journey and events throughout the game are a necessity and can often make up for an ending that is deemed as poor.


People are also quick to forget that some titles possess alternate endings. These endings can be altered and activated depending on decisions you make throughout the game. This again raises the problem where people merely rush through the storyline. They will miss fundamental segments in the game which could drastically alter the ending they receive.

One thing I will stress is that people are entitled to express their opinion, which is completely acceptable. What I feel should not be deemed as acceptable is that people are posing death threats to developers because they aren’t happy with a product. No level of disappointment excuses any sort of threat when people are merely doing their job. 

Although this has been a swift glance at this topic, it is already abundantly clear that it can provide a heated debate amongst gamers. The key concept to keep in mind is that games are of course sources of entertainment for us budding gamers, but their very creation counts for the livelihood of those individuals involved in the development. A product cannot be altered constantly owing to this dissatisfaction of a group of people. If you are dissatisfied with a product, simply boycott future titles instead of complaining and continuing to invest in their creations.


Something else to consider is the gaming industry is populated by an astronomical amount of individuals, each with their unique interests and hobbies. This alone will determine how an individual will perceive a game and what titles will interest them. 

I’m extremely interested in how people received this article and your opinions regarding the content included. Feedback would be appreciated immensely; I encourage people to challenge and comment on my articles. Individual opinions are extremely important in helping me determine what to write about next.

Thanks for reading,
Hannah

3 comments:

  1. I think in the case of Mass Effect, the investment in the story is deeper and way more personal because of how the game plays off your choices within. This attachment to the fiction made players feel like they controlled Shepard's destiny, to which they do to a certain extent, but they forget about the fact that the story is a written work with an ending that they didn't get to create.

    Personally, I respect what BioWare put out there. I wasn't upset by the ending at all, but even if I were, I wouldn't expect it to be changed to appease me. It was never "my" story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I was quite annoyed by the ending myself, I mean out of all the 12 or so different endings they have, he didnt survive in one of them? Kinda makes you feel all those hours you put into the game doesnt mean anything because he dies.

    The only game i enjoyed when the main player dies was Medal of Honour and it was good because the story was only 6 or so hours long, not line ME series when you could put 30+ hours into a single playthrough.

    Thats my opinion anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Boots. In Hannah's defense, she makes quite a few very valid points…no matter how I feel about the ending personally, it is not my story to tell, and thus I do not get a say in the ending.

    Nice piece, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete